Thursday, September 18, 2008

New Discovery

So as I look through coins and find interesting things, I post them on my coin roll hunting blog and then share them with a community of experts at an online forum called coincommunity.com. The experts are always happy to review your finds and help you identify what caused them.

During my trip to visit the 'rents in Colorado, my mom gave me a bunch of foreign coins she had been hanging on to from her trips here and there. One of those was a $1.00 coin from Belize. Though I didn't have the proper equipment available, I saw some suspicious doubling when I first looked at the coin and decided to take it home for some more detailed investigation and photography. The images below are the ones I took and shared on the forum mentioned above.





One of the experts on the forum who actually lives here locally in the Puget Sound area on Bainbridge Island identified the coin as a confirmed Doubled Die variety (see my previous blog post for a description of this error type) and recommended I contact the current national expert on foreign coin errors and varieties named Ken Potter. Ken documents and catalogs these coins, and after viewing my photographs, indicated that my specimen was undocumented and a new discovery. I have sent the coin off to him for further examination and photography and he will be catalog, attributing, and publishing my coin in his publications!

Cool stuff huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

publishing whose coin????
kidding, of course. what a find.
love gom