Friday, February 22, 2008

Coin Roll Hunting

Well, since I can't get my metal detecting fix during the work week, I've read up an alternative / side hobby called Coin Roll Hunting. The idea is you purchase loose change from cashiers / tellers or purchase rolls of coins from the bank and then search through them for rare coins like old mintages, silver coins, error coins, etc. The best part about this hobby is it's free and can be practiced in the privacy of your own home on your own schedule. You cash in the coins you don't keep and use the money to buy your next set.

Today is officially my second day of coin roll hunting (CRHing). Yesterday I purchased $31 in Dollars, $10 in Halves, $150 in Quarters, $55 in Dimes and I was completely skunked. Not a single keeper. Today was a different story though. I picked up $9.50 in Halves, $100 in Quarters, $55 in Dimes, $20 in Nickels, and $5 in Pennies. Luck would have it I found:

(1) 1963 Silver Dime
(1) 1989 Dime w/ a Strike Error
(1) 1943 Steel War-Time Penny

I've never seen a steel penny in person, so needless to say that was a very cool surprise.

No comments: